This lecture will provide you with an overview of the respiratory system with a focus on airways, the lungs, blood vessels and gas exchange. You will learn about common lung and airway disease and sleep disordered breathing disorders. Next (J)
You will learn about the signs and symptoms, diagnosis of these diseases, treatment, risk factors and complications. We will then teach you how to capture all of this relevant information from the underwriting evidence and how to evaluate the information for mortality impact.
Being able to interpret and evaluate pulmonary function tests (PFT’s) and Sleep Studies can pose a challenge to the underwriter. We will walk you through how to, not only, analyze these reports but the information required to classify the risk.
Prerequisites (if no prior underwriting experience)
- Medical Terminology
- Proper File Documentation
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify airway vessels and the pathway of airflow, and the corresponding respiratory tests an Underwriting will assess when considering a case.
- Distinguish between the two most common airway diseases; asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), and how to underwrite individuals with these diseases.
- Interpret the results of Pulmonary Function Tests (PFT) and how to incorporate these results into the risk assessment.
- Categorize the respiratory system, with focus on the lungs, the blood vessels, and gas exchange. You will learn how oxygen enters the blood stream, how carbon dioxide exits, and how the lungs contribute to breathing. You will also learn about other common lung diseases which include acute bronchitis, pneumonia, pulmonary embolism, and tuberculosis.
- Classify the sleep disordered breathing risks, including Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Central
- Sleep Apnea, Mixed Sleep Apnea, and Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome. We will give an overview of the diseases along with signs and symptoms, diagnostics, treatment, and how to underwrite individuals with such diseases.
- Interpret the results of the Sleep Study test to determine the severity of the Sleep Apnea.
- Demonstrate how to capture all of this relevant information from the underwriting evidence and how to evaluate the information for mortality impact, through case study analysis and practice
- You must agree to the Terms of Service on the Cart Page prior to purchasing
- You will receive your LOGiQ³ LMS user login details via email within 24 hours of purchase
- An internet connection is required to complete course(s) purchased
- You will have 12 months access to each module(s) purchased from the date of purchase
- Purchasing in bulk (30+ courses), please Contact Us
- Not ready to purchase? Sign Up for a FREE Trial of program for seven (7) days!
Download our full course syllabus for more information